Cambodian Mutual Assistance Association: Executive Director
Position: Executive Director
Non-profit: Cambodian Mutual Assistance Association
Location: Lowell, MA
Organization Overview and Mission: Founded in 1984, the Cambodian Mutual Assistance Association (CMAA) is dedicated to improving the quality of life for Cambodian Americans and other minorities and economically disadvantaged persons in Lowell through its unique educational, cultural, economic and social programs. CMAA stands strong in its firm commitment to provide services and/or referrals for all who pass through its doors.
Position Overview: Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Executive Director is the primary officer responsible for the day-to-day operations of our Lowell based offices and program space, strategic program development, fund development and community relations functions within Lowell and the greater Lowell area. The ideal candidate will have a strong commitment to working for a purpose driven organization that is positioned for continued favorable growth and national recognition. Design and direct strategies that support and enhance our organizational operations, improve revenue, direct our business strategy, and enhance relations with the media, internal stakeholders, staff, and surrounding communities.
Why is CMAA for you? This is an extraordinary opportunity for an individual with team management experience to grow and further develop a proven, respected program and its mission and objectives; continue to enhance and maintain positive relationships with current and future internal and external stakeholders; take CMAA to the next level based on foundational organizational goals and sound financial practices. The successful candidate will lead the organization and work collaboratively with a motivated team including staff, Board, volunteers, youth leadership and community partners.
● Represent CMAA on selected task forces and committees to promote the mission of the organization via social media, community educational and cultural media, workshops, webinars, meetings and participates in community events;
● Secures and evaluates additional resources and budgets to support the CMAA Programs including grant writing, fundraising, and other potential income generating programs. Identifies potential donors, cultivates relationships and solicits donations for the organization;
● Manages fee-for-service processes including identification of, proposal development, marketing, reporting and project completion;
● Works with the Finance Committee to prepare an annual budget, ensures that the organization operates within budget guidelines, identifies potential areas of concern and creates plans to mitigate risks of overages;
● Supports and provides team leadership for staff through resource planning, work assignment, information exchange, and setting project goals and evaluations;
● Works closely with the Director of Operations (or Assistant Executive Director) on the recruitment, employment and release of all personnel, both paid staff and volunteers. Effectively manages the organization according to and complies with authorized personnel policies and procedures that fully conform with local, state and federal regulations with particular emphasis on those regulations regarding non-profits;
● Work with staff to develop objective performance measurements across all programs to ensure consistent, high-quality goal setting and delivery of services;
● Works with the President to plan the agenda for the monthly Board meetings and bi-weekly email updates to the Board regarding current successes and/or concerns. Attends monthly Board meetings and updates the Board on the condition of the organization.
● Oversees the development of marketing materials and promotion of the CMAA brand with support from the public relations/marketing/development staff person in conjunction with corresponding sub-committees of the board of directors;
● Reviews and analyzes organizational operations to evaluate the performance of the organization and to identify areas of potential program modifications, improvements and sustainability and new programs. Recommend timelines and resources needed to achieve the strategic goals; evaluate the development of new programs based on need and financial stability to further increase the CMAA organizational, financial and strategic objectives.
● Master’s or Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field and/or a minimum of 4 years of experience with community development and advocacy, grant writing, fundraising, and/or nonprofit management including supervisory experience in leading a successful team.
● Ability to speak in Khmer is required. Ability to read and write Khmer high desirable.
● Engaging visionary and strategic leadership to inspire belief in the mission of the CMAA within the Cambodian community and the partner communities it serves and supports.
● Ethical, self driven, highly competent and confident, excellent communicator with good planning, marketing, public relation and organizational skills.
● Understanding of community economic development and belief in its ability to improve the quality of life for low income people and disadvantaged communities.
● Supportive “coach” for staff and volunteers.
● Working knowledge of nonprofit finance, human resources, resource development, community organizing, neighborhood planning and diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) in the workplace.
● High level understanding of community economic development funding and financing resources.
● Excellent verbal, written, communication and interpersonal skills.
● Knowledge of local, state, and federal laws and regulations;
● Knowledge of the local and state of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, and leadership techniques; of accounting, budgeting including nonprofit financial principles; and of the principles and practices of public administration and management.
Compensation: Salary commensurate with experience. Attractive benefits package offered.
Starting Date: Fall 2021
Procedure for Applying: Qualified candidates please email current resume, cover letter and writing sample (2 pages or less) answering the question Why is CMAA for you? to CMAA’s Search Committee at email@example.com. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis through August 14, 2021.