Garden Center Sales and In Store Designer – Weston Nurseries
Department: Chelmsford Garden and Design Center
Reports to: Garden Center Manager, Assistant Manager
Position Summary: The position of Garden Center Sales and In Store Designer provides knowledgeable horticultural and design assistance to all customers in a manner that facilitates a positive shopping experience and works to achieve the financial objectives for Weston Nurseries’. You are expected to be Activant-proficient, familiar with plant materials, basic sound horticultural practices, all GC stock, stone, (both hard goods and green goods), and the most recent WN business practices so that you may answer a wide variety of customer questions in a timely and professional fashion. Working with customers to provide outstanding service will be your priority. When not assisting customers your activities will include loading and unloading trucks, merchandising and general plant care maintenance.
* Answer e-mail, phone, and walk-in inquiries from customers checking the availability of hard goods and green goods, seeking horticultural information and recommendations of appropriate use of planting materials and controls for pests, or seeking preliminary warranty information.
* Help phone and walk-in customers with the sales process from start to finish.
* Perform tasks delegated by a supervisor or requested by other staff.
* Assist with other Garden Center initiatives.
* Assist customers with Plant and Hardgoods purchases as well as add-on sales of related products. Is familiar with the entire GC product line, and can, when appropriate assist the customer with purchases in other areas.
* Provide In-House Design Service – Customers will bring photographs, measurements, and sun/shade information for their planting site. During their appointment you will create a landscape design and plant list concentrated to one area of their yard.
* Maintain a beautiful, easy-to-shop sales area. This includes proper plant organization, accurate price tagging, as well as ensuring plant health through deadheading, monitoring for pests/diseases, and watering when necessary.
* Provide timely information –availability, specifications and culture to Garden Center staff in other departments to assist their customer interactions.
* Pull aside sold orders into Holding area and assist with receiving incoming deliveries and placing product in appropriate locations.
* Process orders through our POS System.
* Schedule and coordinate deliveries and installs of bulk goods, plants and stone.
* Positive, professional manner when interacting with customers
* Requires cheerful disposition in a somewhat fast paced environment.
* Able to multi-task.
* Lift a minimum of 50 pounds.
* Self-initiative with day to day tasks.
* Significant hands-on gardening experience. Training in horticulture a plus.
* Flexible work schedule.
* Computer knowledge, including thorough understanding of the Microsoft Office Suite and the ability to learn and understand Eagle Operating System.
* Attentive to customers and customer service.
* Previous retail experience helpful
* Basic horticultural knowledge, including suitability of plants and appropriate use of stone and hardgoods.
* Experience with garden creation/ design with knowledge of plant combinations, basic design theories and cultural practices is helpful.
* Experience with paver and wall installation helpful.
Requirements – Personal:
* Effective written and verbal communication skills are important when interacting with customers, peers, and direct reports.
* Ability to work effectively as a team player.
* Ability to work in a fast-paced and hectic work environment, make decisions “on the run”, and prioritize tasks effectively.
* Strong organizational skills; ability to organize workforce and delegate responsibilities. Planning and follow-through are key to ensure all retail opportunities are achieved.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified.
160 Pine Hill Road
Chelmsford, MA 01824